The Writing Prompt:
Write a six paragraph essay comparing and contrasting two short stories. Show similarities and differences between the plots of the two stories. Support your ideas using words and examples from the stories. Compare the moral of the two stories.
- Compare and contrast two short stories
- Show similarities and differences between the stories.
- Use words and examples from the different stories.
- Compare the moral or message of the two stories.
- Review the elements of each story- plot, conflict, and rising/falling action. Review your chart.
- Create an outline with main headings for the introduction, body and conclusion.
- Using the story and your chart, find examples of similarities and differences to use in the body of your essay.
Drafting your Compare and Contrast Essay: Write paragrafs of your essay.
- Introduction- Paragraph One
State your Compare and Contrast Essay’s main purpose-to compare and contrast the plots of stories with similar events/conflicts.
Introduce the similarities and differences that you have found in the two plots.
- Body- Paragraphs Two, Three, Four and Five
Paragraph Two- Begin by contrasting the stories’ expositions.
Paragraph Three: Describe the conflict of each story and compare them.
Paragraph Four: Describe the rising action and climax in each story and compare them.
Paragraph Five: Describe the falling action of each story and compare them.
- Conclusion- Paragraph Six
End your Compare and Contrast Essay with a strong statement about the stories’ key similarities and differences in plot. Finally, compare the moral, or message of the two stories.
This assignment is a great follow up after teaching students about the elements of a short story.
I have students, in class and with guidance, create story charts for each short story before completing this assignment.
Two great stories for the Compare and Contrast Essay story are “The Third Wish” and “The Monkey’s Paw.”
The chart I have the students fill out to help with the planning process is:
|How is the conflict resolved during the falling action?|